Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Reconsidering

I have a policy of never mentioning writers by name in this blog, because I don't want it to be about personalities; I like to talk about practices, not people. But earlier this week I had a moment of enlightenment, and I think a mea culpa is in order.

I think I have underestimated Steve Eighinger's work.

His news reporting has always been pretty straightforward, like most of the newswriting at the Whig. I've poked fun at the occasional infelicitous phrase, but everybody writes a clunker now and then. But I'll confess that I have almost always chortled at the columns -- and for reasons that I thought at the time were justifiable. The insanely lowbrow lists of favorite movies and TV shows. The ill-concealed tubthumping for favorite preachers. The unabashed love of fattening food. The fixation on "American Idol" and NASCAR.

I was starting to do that again this week, reading Sunday's column about (of course) "American Idol," NASCAR, a preacher, and TV personalities. Then my moment of enlightenment came:

Those things are exactly what everybody else in Quincy is interested in.

The guy's a freakin' genius. Just by being interested in the stuff he's interested in, he has perhaps inadvertently put his finger on the beating, cholesterol-laden pulse of Quincy. Or maybe it's not so inadvertent after all.....now I'm starting to doubt myself even more.

I'll bet that column is one of the most well-read columns in the paper every week. So what if he doesn't watch movies with subtitles? Nobody else in Quincy does either. I'm the one who's out of step here.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

No you're not.

I watch lots of movies with subtitles.

In fact just last Sunday I watched a movie in Russian that didn't even have subtitles. I had to bring my laptop along to the living room because I had a copy of the lines in English (NOT a script--it didn't have names identifying the speakers, just locations on the film track) in a file on the computer.

I know just enough Russian (and patronymics, thank gawd for them!) to be able to follow along.

It wasn't subtitles but it was a lot of work!

Good flick though. Lots of great naval battle scenes. Gorgeous female lead.

Titled "Admiral", about Admiral Kolchak who led White Russian forces during the Russian Revolution.

You could do worse. And it might even fit Steve E.'s qualifications since it had lots of big guns, exploding ships, and noise. Even if it was in Russian.

10:30 PM  
Blogger ursadailynews said...

"Those things are exactly what everybody else in Quincy is interested in."

He really said that? Quincy isn't the most culturally diverse place in the world, but let's not roll everyone up into one broad generalization. If the staff at the Whig truly understood "exactly what everybody in Quincy is interested in" their readership would be a whole lot higher.

3:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

throw in basketball and it is pretty accurate

8:48 AM  
Blogger Publius said...

You can't be serious. What's the source of your statement that Mr. Eighinger's stories are exactly the stuff in which Quincyans are interested?

Look at today's (Sunday, November 23) piece, for example. Is this really above-the-fold material? It's not worthy of being called a feature. It reads more like his column, another list of repetitive comments. (Editors might have done him a favor by having him look up the definition of tithing, which, according to numerous studies, most Catholics never have done.)

There are stories that come from a religious cultural background that could be of interest to Quincyans. Instead of asking pastors how they're dealing with donations, a more important story would be what their churches are doing about growing poverty? How are they teaching today's gospel -- doing for the least of these? In what ways to they enjoin their members to do so?

There are many sources, theologians, philosophers, historians, sociologists, mathematicians and others at the area's colleges and universities for the many important stories in which religion has a role. Permit me to suggest that instead of hopping into the recliner to watch Gilligan, Mr. Eighinger might open a page of G.K. Chesterton or t.s. eliot.

9:44 AM  
Blogger Joe Kelly said...

I cannot sit idly by while the professionalism of a fellow journalist is questioned. Mr.Eighinger is a consumate pro whose style, wit and ability to present the story make him a valued and respected member of the journalistic community. I look forward to his prose each time I open the Quincy Herald Whig.

11:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I find Steve very witty and clever in a not-so-witty-nor-clever fashion.

8:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home