Monday, January 07, 2008

The Redesign -- First Impressions

Interesting new look for the H-W. Overall, I like it. I have a feeling that it's not yet fully phased in, so I plan to suspend judgment for a few weeks. But a few first impressions:

Interesting, Wall-Street-Journaly, Baltimore-Sunny headline face. I don't quite recognize it, but then I got rid of my specimen books a while back.

Not too crazy about the condensed Helvetica or whatever it is on page 2. But the standing head is very classy looking. The drawback of having narrow headline typefaces shows up on p. 3, where the lack of a strong or airy headline face leads to a very dull, gray page.

The addition of e-mail and phone numbers to stories is an excellent idea and long overdue.

Someone needs to whack Jamie Busen and her copy editor with an AP Stylebook for saying that someone is going to "take over the reigns" at GREDF. On the other hand, since it's an Oakley she's talking about, the confusion is more understandable.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Weren't they supposed to have a new Website to go along with this?

Wha hoppened?

2:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can only polish a turd so much.

2:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Like Tookie always says:

No matter how much you fix it up, it's still a trailer.

3:01 PM  
Blogger Allthenewsthatfits said...

As I said, I don't think the rollout is complete.

"Can't polish a turd".....funny, I just read that same remark on Pete Wentz's blog. Is that the new snarky remark of the day? Or is it an old phrase that has just resurfaced?

3:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a new local blog. Please link when you see fit.

I would think if you were launching a redesigned newspaper your redesigned Web site would launch the same day.

That's just my opinion. I could be wrong.

3:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When you link off the side to your blogs, isn't Josephus's Blog incorrect? Shouldn't it be Josephus' Blog?

4:42 AM  
Blogger Allthenewsthatfits said...

Our language's lack of consistency on that question drives me nuts. I go by the old Elements of Style rule, which placed an apostrophe plus "s" after every singular noun. But you are right, most handbooks are going with only the apostrophe these days, although the AP Stylebook temporizes with proper names. Maybe I should give up that old buggy.

5:09 AM  
Blogger RealtyQuincy.com said...

I wasn't too impressed myself. Maybe it will get better. I saw the preview in Sundays papers, it is nice that local students will get a section of the paper every week.

5:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Whig has always put names and email addresses at the ends of stories. The style is just different now.

7:17 AM  
Blogger Allthenewsthatfits said...

By golly, you're right! Apologies for the error.

7:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The masthead is less attention grabbing than before, if their goal was to stand out more on news stands, I don't think it will. I would've left it reversed like it was and change the color because many other newspapers use a blue masthead. But then again, the H-W has no local competition to stand out against.

The new headline font is difficult to read at first glance and I don't feel it grabs attention to the article. The one thing I do like so far is the section headers, although that typeface choice still leaves me cold.

1:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home