Sunday, September 09, 2007

Comics

I had occasion today to look at the comics page of the Louisville Courier-Journal, which used to be one of the great regional newspapers in the country. I noticed that more of the comics were by dead people than by living ones:

Blondie
Peanuts
Rex Morgan
Wizard of Id
Apt. 3-G
Dennis the Menace
B.C.

And sure, Mort Walker's still "supervising" Beetle Bailey and Hi & Lois, but really now....he's 84 years old.

And newspaper people wonder why young folks think that newspapers are irrelevant.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let me get this straight. You're judging newspapers by the content of their comics sections?

And you wonder why this blog is irrelevant.

6:20 PM  
Blogger Allthenewsthatfits said...

I guess I need to explain myself more so the more literal sorts can get it. What matters is not the content of the comics; it's what that content symbolizes--resistance to change, being stuck in mid-20th century habits of information flow, being governed by fear rather than opportunity ("We can't discontinue Apartment 3-G! A dozen of our 78-year-old readers might complain!"). The Courier-Journal's comic section illustrated a kind of brain-dead approach to newspapering that the medium can ill afford.

3:44 AM  
Blogger TOOKIE said...

I was kind of lost on this one too , but hey it's your blog " You go girl "


*Z snap with a twist


:)




I miss I think it was "Boone County" with Opus & the Drunk lawyer Steve



That was a funny comic

9:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home