Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Copy Editors' Headaches

Either there is a window-washing amoeba in Quincy or the photo in yesterday's city/county section was badly cropped. I could make out a shoe, a bottle of window washing fluid, and what might have been a hand, but beyond that all was a blur. His grandson has human form, however.

The dropped "not" is a copy editor's great bugaboo, as in the trash pickup story, which tells us "There will be collections on Monday, Sept. 3," followed one sentence later by "Monday collections will be made Tuesday." The intervening sentence is a cryptic "There will be a one-day this week only," which I suspect is actually a coded instruction from Osama bin Laden to his Quincy sleeper cell.

2 Comments:

Blogger Quincy Fire said...

So...I'll put my trash out on Sunday night and hope that it will be picked up by Friday.

Hopefully I'll hit that "one-day this week only" day.

Funny Sh*t here.

4:58 AM  
Blogger UMRBlog said...

I don't know how anybody edits successfully, day-in-day-out. What pressure! Give me something easy like a Class X Felony Jury Trial or a 4.5M executive discharge suit but don't make me proofread anything!

9:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home