Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Cookie Cutter Time

It's official....no individuality is to be tolerated in the Quincy Public Schools.

Some notable quotes from yesterday's Whig:

"(The study) has really been interesting and eye-opening on my part," Viniard said. Looking at the district's practices, "we found out ... that we had a real range of grading scales being utilized ... and that we had a wide range in terms of approaches to grading practices."

Apparently having a wide range of approaches is considered bad.

"Half the time when parents call, they want to understand why a student will do well in one class and not in another. ... (Now) I don't have to figure out why each teacher grades differently."

Heavens, we wouldn't want to have to make the counselors figure things out.

"They'll have a chance to redo their work, retake major tests," Viniard said. "Many opportunities in life follow that guideline, such as taking a drivers test."

And many other opportunities in life DON'T. If a teacher wanted to adopt this as a policy, fine and dandy. But to mandate it for all teachers seems like a bad practice for me.

If I thought this policy change would lead to a cutback on "gut" courses and social promotion, I'd be in favor. But I don't think it will have that effect. In fact, I'm afraid it will have the opposite effect. Don't turn something in and still get half credit? You gotta be kidding.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm having a hard time seeing whom this kind of policy benefits. Do overs?

9:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How long has this gal been an assistant superintendent? She just figured out that teachers grade differently? Give her a raise.
Give me something else to be mad about.

11:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jeez...when I was in high school I took "Environmental Biology". I did all the classwork but failed to turn in one paper. The teacher FAILED me. My parents and I argued til we were blue in the face but he would not change the grade nor would he (and it was his right to deny it) allow the paper to be submitted for an F and change the overall grade.

So I had to bust my ass the second semester and nail an A in order to have a C overall for the year. AND that cost me a full scholarship to the college of my choice.

Hell, we should have sued the bastard.

Of course not really, he was in the right since I didn't do the worl. And I learned a valuable lesson. Science teachers are buttmunches.

No no. The REAL lesson was: Do the damned work if you want to get the credit.

12:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How does the QFT feel about this?

2:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Remember. Trish is John Sullivan's sister.

6:44 PM  
Blogger UMRBlog said...

Nice to see somebody else on this. It provoked a hell of discussion in the Basin.

1:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home