Sunday, April 26, 2009

Passing Glances

The demons of work have kept me away from the blog for several weeks now. Thank goodness, I hardly had a thought in my head to share anyway.

Always fun to read a good in-print catfight between the mayor's wife and the mayor's challenger's wife. Actually, I shouldn't say that it's always fun, because I've never read one before.

The Shriners have apparently pulled out of the Dogwood Parade because of the $26 per-unit charge. Guess every group of eight or twelve guys in a different miniaturized set of vehicles counts as a unit. I for one always dreaded the arrival of the Shriners....it meant that the parade would grind to a halt in front of me for 20 minutes or so while they did their figure-eights. Now......if only they can figure out how to make those commercial "floats" be something other than "let's shine up the company truck at the car wash & use it to throw Tootsie Rolls from." Then the parade might actually be less than two hours long. More bands, more bands!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Or........... Let's shine up the company truck and put even MORE ADVERTISEMENTS on it and throw nothing from it.

8:30 AM  
Blogger observer said...

Your bitching about the time the parade takes ??
You got something to do? Don't come to the parade then.
You don't like the Shriners?? Your life must be overly exciting.

More Bands? How many High Schools do we have in Quincy anyway.

It's a parade in a small mid-western town for crying out loud.

Stay home on Saturday, and I hope Dave Oakley stays home also, so he doesn't screw up the pictures parents are trying to take of their kids marching in the few bands we have.

6:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Observer
very well put

3:59 PM  
Blogger Allthenewsthatfits said...

I'll be at my usual corner, cheering on every band that passes, including (or especially) the little ragtag bands that come in from the sticks. Maybe the Heartland slave labor camp will send its band again....gotta love those kids.

And I'll be celebrating the reduced number of Shriner entries. I don't dislike the Shriners, just wish they wouldn't clog up the parade with lengthy stretches of group after group.

6:56 AM  
Blogger observer said...

What was up with unions with a 4 block long mini-parade?

2:35 PM  
Blogger Allthenewsthatfits said...

I guess they were willing to pay the entry fee like everyone else that entered.

3:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home