Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Catching up

The demands of work overwhelmed me for the last couple of weeks so I have not been able to keep up the blog.

Random observations:

The Quincy Pundit's continued dogging of the H-W for not admitting it plagiarized its editorial on the Medal of Honor winner is fun to read although probably increasingly quixotic at this point. The pundit also provided a link to an excellent column by Roy Peter Clark on the subject of journalistic plagiarism in general. The link is here, in case you missed it. Bottom line: journalistic plagiarism is all too common, and in this instance the sad fact that it happened is compounded by the paper's stonewalling. The anecdote that Clark uses to discuss plagiarism at the beginning of his column, by contrast, shows a better response: admitting that it happened, public regret that it did, and a vow not to let it happen again. Denial brings repetition. One odd thing from the whole incident.....why didn't the competition cover it? It's news. Is there some sort of "gentleman's agreement" not to cover each other's dirty laundry?

Glad to see the announcement of QuincyNews.org. Just hope it doesn't go dormant as fast as BlogQuincy! did.

My favorite recent headline: Sunday's "Comcast still in evaluation mode." Translated: "Comcast still in 'Quincy? Where the hell is that?' mode."

Also in that same paper, this guy Tieken was described as an archaeologist, but when I checked the website of the North American Archaeological Institute, it did not once mention his credentials. Not that he's not an archaeologist, but it would have been nice for the newspaper story to tell us what justification he has for that claim. I also note that the NAAI (so named) is run out of his house. Who knows, maybe I'm the executive director of something around my house too! I'd better check with the spouse and see.









7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Quincy News.org has an office in the G Bank Building downtown . It is a real new media company

1:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for noticing. The launch is Monday.

We're going to focus on government, politics and business. I hope people enjoy our perspective.

I'll explain more about the site on Monday. You can also hear more about it and our mission on Monday on WTAD, 930 on your AM dial.

We'll chat about it with Mary G. Monday morning and my weekly radio program "QuincyNews on the Air" debuts 6:30 Monday evening.

Oh yeah, I'm Bob Gough, the editor of QuincyNews.org. I can be reached at 217-617-6665. No anonimity here.

By the way, you'll be able to comment on the stories and blogs on QuincyNews.org, but you'll have to register.

2:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for noticing. The launch is Monday.

We're going to focus on government, politics and business. I hope people enjoy our perspective.

I'll explain more about the site on Monday. You can also hear more about it and our mission on Monday on WTAD, 930 on your AM dial.

We'll chat about it with Mary G. Monday morning and my weekly radio program "QuincyNews on the Air" debuts 6:30 Monday evening.

Oh yeah, I'm Bob Gough, the editor of QuincyNews.org. I can be reached at 217-617-6665. No anonimity here.

By the way, you'll be able to comment on the stories and blogs on QuincyNews.org, but you'll have to register.

2:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You want to delete one of those?

Sorry, first day with the new laptop. :)

2:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As to Mr Tieken......now I are one.....

8:59 PM  
Blogger Dave Victor said...

I have no illusion the Whig will ever repent. I do appreciate learning a new word today. Thanks for reading.

6:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too would be interested in seeing Mr. Tieken's credentials. Is he trained in archeology? He's certainly enthusiastic, but there's something fishy about the guy. His performances at City Council meetings have been quite entertaining.

9:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home