Saturday, June 28, 2008

Flood coverage

I have been following the flood coverage mainly from out of town, so was eager to see it in actual print once I got back. Overall, I'd say they did a darn good job. The coverage was comprehensive and wide-ranging. They actually used the website to advantage. Even the story about the guy and his Sny River theory was interesting, I thought, although I've seen others complaining about it. Anybody who thinks the Mississippi is not capable of busting out and capturing an old river channel, ruining shipping for a long time to come, should read John McPhee's The Control of Nature: Atchafalaya,” which ran in the New Yorker February 23, 1987. It was reprinted in his 1989 book The Control of Nature.

I'd say the word "valiant" was overused, but that's a minor complaint. Now, when will we get that follow-up piece that examines the whole flood control philosophy? Or will that just be too much of a hot potato? I have seen anonymous commenters on other blogs that express the opinion that only towns and highways should be protected, while farmland is left to the river's mercies. I don't know enough on the subject to have an opinion, but it's a debate worth having. Such an idea would involve a huge reshaping of the levee system. On the other hand, since we're getting 500-year floods every 15 years, maybe a reshaping of the levee system needs to be considered.

1 Comments:

Blogger TOOKIE said...

No love for Tookie's "tales of the Flood "

I will say Rot-knee did a grand job and is a fricken HERO in West Quincy . He was covering it , then asked me "can I work the levy?"

His coverage from that second on took a whole new level . A ton of folks are excited for tomorrow's paper .


Also my crackberry took decent pics , not the best, but decent .

4:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home